What’s Cooking: Bacon Egg Sandwich and White Turkey Chili
Phew, what a weekend.
I started off the weekend with my first Bodypump class in a long time, which was a great mix of weights. Since I hadn’t done one in awhile and was a little late, I was frantically putting weights on my bar and didn’t get to fully max myself out, but now I know for next time what I can handle!
However, since I took it pretty easy this weekend on workouts, I figured I would share with you a couple of delicious recipes!
The first is my new go to breakfast, which consists of eggs white (2) and 2 slices of bacon on top of ezekiel bread. Absolutely delicious.
Doesn’t that look delicious?! The ezekiel bread can be found in the frozen gluten free section. The picture above includes a slice of cheese, but I’ve found I can do without that and the calories below are without the cheese.
Calories: 280 Total carbs: 28.5g Fiber: 6g Protein: 25.1g
The other recipe I am currently cooking is a white turkey chili. I can’t tell you how it tastes get, but it smells absolutely delicious. I doubled the recipe so that I would have enough for lunches this week and not have to try to cook something in the middle of the week. The recipe below will be what I used to make more.
What you need:
- 2 lb ground turkey
- 1 large white onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 4oz can roasted green chilies
- 2 15oz can cannellini beans
- 4 cups fat free chicken stock
- 4 fresh jalapenos, seeded and diced
- 1 cup part skim mozzarella, shredded
- 1/2 cup non-fat plain Greek yogurt (to substitute for sour cream if you want, not included in calorie count)
- 2 tbsp cumin
- 2 tbsp coriander
- 2 tbsp oregano (I had italian seasoning that I ended up using instead)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cilantro and lime wedges for garnish (optional)
1. Cook the chopped onion and garlic in a large pot for 3 to 4 minutes.
2. Add in the ground turkey, cook until browned through
3. Add jalapenos, cumin, coriander, oregano, salt and pepper. Note, after chopping jalapenos wash your hands, do not touch your face like I did and have a burning sensation for the next 10+ minutes.
4. Stir in chilies and chicken stock. Cover and simmer for about an hour.
5. Add in beans and cook for another 30 to 45 minutes.
6. Add cilantro, cheese, lime, and Greek yogurt if you wish
Serving size: 1.25 cup, makes about 10 to 12 servings
Calories: 205.1 Total carbs: 15.3g Fiber: 4.9g Protein: 22.1g
I am enjoying this bowl now with a few springs of cilantro, a 1/4 c of cheese and a squirt of lime juice. I may have outdone myself this time. Also for those who do not like really spicy/hot dishes this is not. I can feel a tingle in my mouth but not nothing too serious!
Oh and a little humor since Valentine’s Day is coming up, I found this large heart in my grocery store. For those interested I have done a delicious heart recipe before!